Faculty and staff will bring their fun-loving dogs to campus to visit with students who love dogs and would like to spend some time visiting with dogs and their human companions. Please stop by our dog party and say hi. Here are some guidelines for meeting your new dog friends.
TIPS FOR MEETING A DOG FOR THE FIRST TIME
- Don't approach the dog first. Allow him to approach you to establish trust.
- Stand straight or squat. Do not crouch or put your face in the dog's face over the dog it is threatening.
- Direct eye contact with the dog may be seen as a challenge and should be avoid with an unfamiliar dog.
- Let the dog sniff you before trying to pet him/her.
- Wait for the dog to give you a sign that he is willing to have you pet him. He will likely rub against you gently to invite you to pet him.
- Don't pet an unfamiliar dog's head. Start with the shoulder or back.
- If the dog decides that he does not want to interact with you, he will turn or back away. If this happens the best thing you can do is ignore him, too.
Faculty and staff: If you and your four-legged companion can make it, please join us at Olin Plaza for any amount of time you are available. Please remember that we need for all dogs to be up-to-date on vaccinations and you will need to take care of any deposits your companion decides to leave behind. Hope to see you there for the Bow-wow Pow-wow.
Click here for information on the first Pause for Paws event held last semester.
Friday, Apr 19, 2013
Other Dates For This Event: